We are now approaching the golfing season this year and I’m sure you are all excited about it. It’s about time to show you our annual edition of the best golf balls for senior golfers. As you may be aware, the golf ball is the only equipment that you are going to use for every single shot during your round. So it is of vital importance that you choose the right ball for your game.
Golf is constantly changing; the technique evolves and the equipment is tailored to suit the players’ needs. You can’t just scavenge for balls on the golf course and expect to perform with it! You need something that suits your game. But the choosing process may be a bit too confusing, which is exactly why I have written this guide to help you. Hopefully your game will improve!
What Should I Look For In The Best Golf Balls For Seniors…?
Ideally, you should be looking for golf balls that give you maximum distance and also short game control. You may have read online articles that the best balls should reduce the sidespin. Unfortunately, that won’t happen in golf. The only factors affecting sidespin would be the clubface alignment at impact and your swing path.
Therefore, I would recommend you to get a ball that has a relatively hard core and a soft cover. This would be most beneficial to your game.
Golfers love playing the Pro V1 or Pro V1x, but that is not a ball designed for recreational golfers. It’s more suited for the top amateurs and professionals. So this may not be the best ball for you. Instead, you should look for balls that would help you launch it and also carry a considerable distance.
Make sure the ball offers:
1) Maximum compression
2) Optimal spin rate and launch angle
The best golf balls for seniors; especially high handicappers would be 2-piece balls. 2-piece balls are designed for players with slow swing speed and they can help you improve your game.
High Handicappers Golf Balls
If you have recently picked up the sport or if you consider yourself to possess a slow golf swing, this section is written specifically for you.
Titleist DT Solo
The Titleist DT Solo offers excellent distance to golfers and yet it feels exceptionally soft around the greens. To put it simply, the ball generates minimal backspin with the driver, which helps with the carry distance (even though the launch angle may be a tad lower!).
Also, you can expect plenty of ‘zip’ when you are hitting approach shots around the greens.
Benefits of the DT Solo Golf Ball At A Glance:
- low compression, fast solid core with soft, responsive monomer cover
- softest compression feel while delivering exceptional distance
- responsive short game performance
- long distance with driver and irons
- super soft, fast core
- new spherically tiled 376 tetrahedral dimple design
Those shots that Tiger and Rory hit? Well, you can achieve it with the Titleist DT Solo as well. The Titleist Dt Solo is available in yellow if you have difficulty in finding the ball.
Srixon AD 333
It means more distance for you and less deviation off target as well. It is pretty similar to the Titleist DT Solo and the excellent greenside control will certainly impress your golfing buddies.
Benefits Of The Ad 333 At A Glance:
- Highly resilient golf balls
- Soft rabalon® hr+ and pana-tetra® blended thin cover
- Improved core, increasing ball’s launch style while maintaining greenside performance
- Reduced drag offers consistent trajectory and distance control
Mid Handicappers Golf Balls
Experienced golfer but not quite exceptional yet? Well this section is for you. The golf balls above are probably not ideal for your game and you may lose distance and control. The following golf balls should be considered for your own benefits.
Titleist NXT Tour S
Not to mention the fact that it’s short game capabilities are rather similar to the famous Pro V1.
Benefits of the NXT Tour S Golf Ball At A Glance:
- delivers low driver and long iron spin for exceptional distance
- Consistent flight along with commanding short game spin and control with soft feel
- large dual core with soft center
- soft Fusablend cover and spherically tiled 302 octahedral dimple design.
The Bridgestone e5 is also a 2-piece golf ball, but offers a urethane cover. Urethane is an extremely soft material and that is why it provides great short game control.
You don’t even have to worry about the bunker shots and the tricky chip shots anymore.
The only downside is that the ball will be less durable and you might have to bring a couple more balls for your round.
Benefits of the Bridgestone e5 Golf Ball At A Glance:
- new 326 web dimple pattern increase surface coverage by 110% for improved ball flight for more distance.
- 2015 e5 is designed to provide extra lift for longer carry and added distance
- dual dimple pattern aids to maintains lift for longer distance
- high spinning tour caliber cover and 2 piece construction for improved performance
Low Handicappers Golf Balls
If you have a moderate swing speed and a low handicap, you should be looking for golf balls that offer great short game control and also fair amount of distance as well.
Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x
The Titleist Pro V1 series offers great control for all short game shots, whether you want the ball to spin back or if you want the ball to hop forward and come to sudden halt, you can achieve it with the Pro V1.
Also, the distance the Pro V1 offers you will be immense. You can expect the ball to fly further in the air with plenty of roll. If you haven’t played with this ball before, you should certainly give it a chance.
Benefits of the Pro V1 Golf Ball At A Glance:
- The new Pro V1 offers exceptional distance, increased spin control and more consistent flight
- excellent drop and stop greenside control
- very soft feel on all shots
- spherically tiled 352 tetrahedral dimple design helps ball hold its line in the wind
Benefits of the Pro V1x Golf Ball At A Glance:
- delivers very low spin off the driver and long irons with longer distance and more consistent flight
- Pro V1x is renowned for its drop and stop greenside control
- large, high velocity dual core with a soft center
- high-performance urethane elastomer covers offer incredible responsiveness
- low long game spin
- drop and stop greenside control
- soft feel on all shots
- tour proven
It does not matter that much if you have a slow swing speed or a fast swing speed, the Z-star is designed to perform optimally for all experienced golfers.
However, you may not benefit as much if you are still learning the game, as you probably won’t be able to tell the difference between the Z-Star and the AD 333.
Benefits of the Z-Star Golf Balls Golf Ball At A Glance:
- dualcore performance optimizes trajectory and spin off the tee with penetrating ball flight unyielding to the wind
- precisely tuned ball performance to increase total playability on every shot
- ultimate multi layered golf ball for the player looking for a tour proven ball with superb feel and distance control
- proprietary super soft urethane cover for added spin control without sacrificing distance
- exceptional feel and control around the green
- available in Pure White and Tour Yellow for additional visual performance.
Age Defying Golf Rx – Our Signature ProgramThis Program Is For You IF….
- You are a golfer between 50-75 plus years young or young.
- Carry between an 8 – 36 handicap
- You want to improve flexibility, injury prevention, golf performance
- You are willing to spend 15 minutes, 3 times per week to play your best golf ever.
I hope you have enjoyed this guide and we have plenty more articles that we send to our email subscribers. If you would like more guides (related to resources and equipment) for senior golfers and golfers over 50, please enter your email address below. Of course, you reserve the right to unsubscribe from us at any time without giving any reasons.
What’s the best way to get ALL of the BEST free Age Defying Golf Tips, articles, clubs, and more? Sign up for our email list below:
Dr. Ryan York, DPT CGS
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Certified Golf Performance Specialist